Saturday, January 14, 2012

Simplify...

This is my word for the year. It's all encompassing, as I intend to apply it to as many aspects of my life as possible in 2012. I'm thinking of tattooing it on my arm...just kidding...not really...I think I actually might. I even find that I silently repeat this word in my head, several times a day right now because I have this big, fat, new adventure ahead of me. After almost twelve years of being a collection girl, I've decided that a change of career is in order and in a couple of weeks, I will be going back to school. Just one night class to start with, then if all goes well, a summer online course and another night class in the fall. Nine months after that will require a massive leap of faith as I plunge head first into a full course of study. Wait...I just had a little heart attack. Ok...well that passed. I actually think that it's good to scare myself a little sometimes...to stretch my comfort zone a bit further than it might like to go. It's both terrifying and exciting, all at the same time. But it's good...definitely good and I'm happy that I am finally shifting my direction. Miles and Sam are both still young, but old enough to be able to roll with a little bit of change in our routine. They are my main concern, as I have been very present for these two from the time they were born. Money is my second worry...but that's a constant anyway. Evan is wonderfully supportive...my true partner. We are surrounded by family and I have a kick ass cheering section. So...let the adventure begin. It's time to re learn how to be a student...and time to simplify the things that I'm able to. Baby steps...

A resolution for this year...I am not going to buy myself any new clothes or shoes. I don't shop extravagantly but I am a sucker for a $6 shirt on the Target clearance rack...those little impulse buys add up though. I don't NEED anything...I have plenty, so this year my goal is to use what I have in this closet and in the words of one of my favorite guys, Tim Gunn, I am going to "make it work."

My final shoe purchase for 2011...super comfortable, on sale and quite possibly the cutest pair of shoes that I own.

Our fourth bedroom...it has been the catch-all spot since we moved into this house almost eight years ago. It shall now be known as the...holy crap, I am going back to school and I need a place to study, room.

Hmmm...what's a girl to do with this blank white wall?

Perfect.

Much better.

This picture nearly makes me cry. A new matress...sniff sniff...a good night sleep. Evan and I have each been sleeping (if you can actually even call it that) in our own personal mattress ditches, with a speed bump in the middle, for months. I feel like I'm 80 when I wrench myself out of bed in the morning...we both have back issues...you get the idea. I am looking forward to all of the benefits that a comfortable rest will bring this year. Good sleep makes everything feel a little better.

Sammy and Kiko approve.

Sammy demonstrating how Ev and I are going to feel tonight.

Oh how we all love the new bed.

Happy weekend.

Simplify, simplify, simplify.

2 comments:

  1. 'Atta girl, Jenny V! Wow...that takes balls. I am so proud of you, and your happiness about it shines forth from your writing. Are you planning to go into the healthcare profession? I think you had mentioned that earlier. I can imagine how scary it must feel but hey, this life is it, right? Just read a funny quote recently (I think from Fight Club) and reminded me of your situation: "Advertising...convinces us to work crazy hours in jobs we hate to pay for shit we don't need." Ha! Love it. Seems you've got it figured out, anyway...take care, friend. You can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that settles it, lady. You are officially added to my kick ass cheering section. Seriously...I can't tell you how much it means to hear this kind of support from a gal such as yourself...someone I hardly know, but am sure I'd have a freaking blast with, if we ever were to meet. I love this quote that you posted. I am indeed headed back to healthcare...I want to help people and find meaning in the work that I do. I went to school for nursing right out of high school...three and a quarter years if you can believe that...never quite finished. Oh the twists and turns life brings, right? Anyway...it's never too late and this time around I will be taking a stab at physical therapy...just an assistant program to get my foot in the door and then I'll grow gradually from there. Thank you again, so much for the encouraging words...it means a lot.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very welcome indeed.