Saturday, September 17, 2011

Joy in the ordinary...

I'm finding more and more that I take a huge amount of joy from the ordinary, day to day things in life. I snap a lot of pictures of ordinary (boring, in my kid's opinions) objects. I'm discovering that writing and keeping picture lists of things that I love, (Pinterest...all kinds of fun) paying close attention to the little details of our daily life, documenting moments that are most meaningful to our family...all of those things are remarkably enriching. French music and candy corn make me feel really really happy. A good haircut and I feel all pretty and girlie again. Loaded baked potato kettle chips with my lunch are divine. Trips to the library and apple picking...sublime. I love recognizing these little details, moments, objects, interests...it's almost a way of reminding myself that I am still me...a woman of substance and worth...on top of being a mother, wife, employee and so on. It's good to remember what I like the most as well as the things that make me feel the happiest. Below...some snaps of the tail end of our week, as well as another weekend spent with my sidekick. One little black pug who had some dental work this week (poor guy) and his sister pug who just couldn't understand all the fuss made over our little patient. She'll get it when it's her turn next week. A fond pizza party farewell to great granny who has headed back to Texas for the twilight of her life. Caterpillars, now fat and ready to cocoon...only one was hanging in an upside down J this morning when I took their picture...but now I see two! Library, lunch and drive by duck visits...apple picking, driveway discoveries, scooter riding and crisp fall weather to top it all off. Today was a very good day.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post and identify to completely with your adoration of the daily stuff. It's good stuff and our kids will LOVE us for our documentation of it one day. Right? Right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nici! You are my first commenter ever, lady! And yes...I agree whole heartedly that these little captured moments of everyday whatnot will be what our kiddos will love looking back on the most. Bet they won't find it all that ordinary aka "boring" when they're grown.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very welcome indeed.